- ‘the action of digging up something buried, especially a corpse’.
There will not always be a re-burial as the remains may be cremated. Mosaic Funerals East Rand is experienced in exhumations and have done many projects for individuals, government and corporate entities. Permission must be obtained before an exhumation from:
- Premier of the Provincial Government
- The Council
- Provincial Department of Health
- Administrator of Cemeteries
- Council’s Medical Officer of Health
- We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days.
- We guarantee the transport of the deceased to their final resting place.
The following terms in accordance with Removal of Graves and Dead Bodies Ordinance, Ordinance 7 of 1925 must be adhered to at all times.
The Commissioner of the Municipal Police service must be informed by the person executing the exhumation.
Graves older than 60 years or unknown will need approval from the South African Heritage Resource Agency.
Exhumations of these graves are to be done under the supervision of accredited archaeologist.
To get the permits from the Provincial Government and SAHRA for unknown graves there should be a full public Participation/Social consultation process recorded. This includes:
- Newspaper ads in three local and provincial newspapers for a period of 30 days for response
- The Council
- On site notices for a period of 60 days
- Door to door family interviews.
- Once all permits and permissions are obtained a registered undertaker will be needed to do the re-burials.